So how the f-bomb did, I do it?
How did I get myself from Wall Street to where I am in my career today? I don’t often tell the unedited version of this story, but a couple of months ago I had the pleasure of meeting the ladies from She Geeks Out, a networking group in the Boston area that builds dynamic communities through events, networking and education. The lovely owners, Rachel and Felicia, invited me to do a podcast with them, and let me tell you – they got the story behind the story!
I shared a few behind the scenes secrets and spilled all the beans on exactly how I went from a little farm girl living in South Africa to a money broker in London and New York City. But what happened that finally broke the camel’s back? What made me realize what my true passions and purpose were, and just how did I go on to become an award-winning Pilates instructor and Best of Boston® Life Coach?
It’s all right here. Press play below and find out how you can determine your passion and purpose too: (ps – Please note that there are some sensitive language and topics in this podcast, please listen with headphones if you have little ones around. Don’t judge me – I warned you it was unedited 😉 )
Tell me in the comments:
Recently found your passion or still looking for it? Tell me what your passion is or how you figured it out, or what you’re doing to try to pinpoint your next career move? Share your thoughts below.
Struggling to pinpoint the perfect career for you?
Sign up for my Career Clarity Series, launching this Friday, May 5th! (Click here to get the best tips that will take you from aimlessly searching to hunting for the precise and perfect job for you!)
Get more information about She Geeks Out:
Visit their website here to learn more about their events, other inspiring people and their corporate training programs around diversity and inclusion.
A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of going to Gabrielle Bernstein’s book signing here in Boston. (Gabby’s a motivational speaker, life coach, and author. Opera has had her as a guest on Super Soul Sundays and the New York Times featured her as a “guru” for the next generation.) She’s currently doing a book tour in the US to promote her new book “The Universe has your Back.”
If you’re in a job that you’re unhappy with at the moment, I have two takeaways for you:
- you’re not alone
- there is a real movement in the workforce to find meaningful and purposeful work right now
How do I know this?
- Gabby, who has a quarter of a million followers on Facebook, also addressed job dissatisfaction and trying to find what to do next in your career to bring meaning and purpose to your life, a few times during the book signing event. (This indicates that she sees this trend and movement to find a fulfilling career from her followers too.)
- Stanford University’s most popular course at the moment is a course called “Designing your life” – the course is similar to the principles, tools, and exercises I teach in my Bootcamp. The course’ primary focus is to help students design a career and life that’s both fulfilling and brings them happiness.
So what was her number one tip to help you figure out your next career move?
Stop trying to find what you love from a place of “I hate my job.”
What does she mean by that? In the life coaching world, this is something we call reframing. You see, for you to find solutions to problems you have to pay close attention to your language and mindset and then reframe it.
Your words become your thoughts, and your thoughts become your actions. Those actions lead to your results.
Or like I said on Instagram once:
So if you’re constantly saying “I hate my job, I can’t stand my career” your brain keeps thinking thoughts surrounding this and can’t find creative solutions outside of that mindset.
So how can you shift your focus?
- Stop saying “I hate my job.”
- Start to look for everything in your job that is working
- Be grateful that you have a job that’s paying your bills and will be your investment source to help you get out of your current situation and onto a career you love.
Want more tips to create a job you love? Take my FREE Take Control of Your Career Training series. Please note that this is the last week to download this training for FREE! Get it now.
TELL ME IN THE COMMENTS BELOW:
What is your biggest obstacle in your career right now? Or were you stuck in a job and figured out your next career? How did you do it? Remember your comment could be just the inspiration someone else needs to find their next job!